Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cloud Computing

I really wasn't sure what "cloud computing" was at the beginning of this assignment. The article I read, "The Not So Obvious Problems With Cloud Computing", gave me a better understanding of the pros and cons. Cloud Computing sounds like a great idea in theory because it saves an individual from buying software, and saves companies even more money when they have a lot of employees doing most of their work on computers. The fact I failed to consider was, "what if the Internet stops working?" or "what happens when the server that stores all of your business information goes down". These are two very big negatives when it comes to cloud computing. 

I use g-mail as my mail email account, but I would never put my calendar on another server because if that went down, I would have no idea what I was doing with my life. It seems that most businesses use servers as a way to save money and store large amounts of data. Most of the time this is a very good idea, but if something was to go wrong with an outside source or their private information was leaked, it would definitely have been a better idea to stick to software on individual computers. 

Article: http://www.articlesbase.com/computers-articles/the-not-so-obvious-problems-with-cloud-computing-805767.html

No comments:

Post a Comment