Monday, February 7, 2011

Technology Addiction?

"Addiction" is a very loaded word. Although some say it should not be used when referring to technology, I personally would agree that a lot of individuals in my generation are addicted. Every where you go you see people walking with their phones in their hand instead of in their pocket or no more than four feet away from their computer. Technology has become a way of survival, and I am no exception, but sometimes it can be taken to the extreme. There is a very big difference from checking your email to keep up with school or work, and refreshing the email on your phone every ten minutes.

I think that cellphones are the greatest "technological addiction". When observing other students in my class, over half of them have their phone sitting on the desk right next to them. Even if the professor clearing states texting is not allowed in class, there are still some who text underneath the desk or find other ways of hiding it. I know if I asked some of my friends if they could go a day without texting, they would answer no. Texting has become the main way of communication, minus computers, and most would feel lost if they did not have access to their phones for a day.

Although there are people who display the perfect balance between utilizing technology and being addicted, there are some who take it too far and who could be referred to as addicted to technology.

1 comment:

  1. Its more like cellphones and the like are successfully marketed toys.

    ReplyDelete