Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Privacy

Internet privacy is becoming a "hot button" issue lately, especially when it comes to privacy.  It seems people are trying to make their profiles private, but unfortunately there are ways to get around them. I'm on the fence about this issue. Part of me thinks that if you have the correct privacy settings in place you should be able to post whatever you want right? The other part of me thinks, "if you don't want people to see it, then don't post it."

The main problem I have is things that are done outside of school or work seem to carry a lot of weight. For example, even if you are 21 and just have a glass of wine with dinner, if a picture goes up on Facebook and a future employer sees it, you may be judged. I'm not sure if I believe that's fair. I am studying to be a teacher. I would never drink alcohol around students or do anything inappropriate, but if I'm having a glass of wine with my friends at dinner and a parent sees a picture posted, I may lose my job.

I think that Facebook is becoming more and more of an issue, and for the sake of argument, I think it is better to safe then sorry...when in doubt, don't post it. 

1 comment: